Thread: No Computer for RR

No Computer for RR

RR lost his computer to a lightening strike the other night, I am taking him one this week end and he will be back online then.

Pygmy
    Knowledge shared is learning gained by both teacher and student.

Hey pygmy, teach him how to take care of a computer while your there!!:D ;) He has more 'puter troubles than anyone I know!!

You don't know the half of it. The strike literally blew the junction box off the side of the house. Inside wiring is fried, have to run a line out the window and connect directly to the new box. Me not a happy camper. :(

RR

Ouch! That doesn't sound like much fun at all! Insurance covering it?

ICK! - please tell me you had backups...

good luck building the new machine!

-t

ps: your next electric bill is sure to be real interesting... I seem to remember a program Carter started to promote distributed alternative energy use. Part of it was that the power companies had to buy any power you put into the system...

Now how many MJs (Mega-Joules) are there in your average lightning bolt? ;)

Insurance? What insurance? I used to be insurance poor. Now I'm just insurance poor. As soon as I get the other unit working again I'll have my email address book. Until then it's off-line and sitting in the corner.

And yes, before anyone says anything I had it connected through a surge protector. Guess what... they don't work. Distance from the actual (apparent) strike according to the phone guys to the 'puter itself is about 50'. Made the jump to the AC mains about 18" away on the side of the house and tripped half the circuit breakers too. Lotsa fun trying to figure that one out, and without the coffee pot, too.

RR

Wow, someone's

having even more problems than I'm having!!! Shouldn't be so happy about it, but I am. My "good" computer got sent to the Home for Bad Computers the beginning of the month and won't be back at least until the second week of June-it was being a very very BAD computer. After more hours of work than I plan on admitting, we finally got the isp connection tweaked so the old 486 could surf again. It is slow, it doesn't like its monitor so I only see a fraction of the screen no matter how much I scroll around, but here I am. Sure hope you get back on line more easily than I did.

Faint
    Flat out to the scene,
    Flat out at the scene.

Finally got the old beast back on line yesterday after a hundred+ bux later. Techie had to perform a Windows overlay to set things right. The Dial-up program was rather screwed up a bit as well. :( Small wonder when I tried to install the new modem it still wouldn't work.

RR