Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
Introduction
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduction

I hope no one minds if I introduce myself. Since this is such an important forum, I thought it would be nice to know something about who we are taking advice from.

I am a stay at home mom of two. I am a physical therapist assistant. I have minimal first aid skills and some wound care skills from my occupation. In a survival situation, I would be the most preprared out of my family and friends, so I am trying to learn as much as possible. I am interested in aquiring more basic skills, and expanding my knowledge in women's health issues, "natural" remedies, pediatric care. I want to learn how to use easily obtainable drugs, and would like to learn something about what herbs would be best for me to grow. I am a very good student, and love reference books.

I am learning about general survival issues, and found this forum useful since it is specific to medicine. I am mentally preparing for the worst case scenario, that being my family's survival dependent on my skills and knowledge (and divine intervention)

So in brief, I have very basic knowledge of A & P with a concentation on the musculoskeletal system. Objectives are to learn as much about emergency medicine while stocking my supplies as possible.

Melinda

Great idea! No complaints from this quarter. it's nice to know that we have some other medical knowledge represented amongst the members.

RR
    Knowledge shared is learning gained by both teacher and student.

Melinda,

I'll let people introduce themselves, but to give you an overview (and because I know a couple of people are away for a couple of weeks) here's an breakdown:

RR (Dale), the person that runs the board is a Paramedic/LPN, however he was in an accident, so may be unable to return to medical work. Certainly not field work.

I'm a former EMT w/ ambulance and ER experience, I also took some pre-nursing before changing majors.

There is a 18 Bravo that posts here, that's a special forces medic. Level of training is above a paramedic. He's in the field right now.

I believe we have at least one RN (ER nurse, I believe). It would be nice to have more.

There is a herbalist.

A dental assistant has posted once.

There are at least 2 MD's that post here, I know you've met one of them, the other doesn't like it known that he's an MD. I have suspicians that there is a third MD, but I'm not sure.

There are probably others. I know there are other EMT's/Paramedics that read this board (because they have registered), but have never posted.

hope that helps! We are growing...

btw: I would trust any information on this site *EXCEPT* my post on FE Anesthetics - something I was hoping that was wrong enough and contraversial enough to jump on... I'm sure there is potential for some of those things, but which is the question...

OK - just took another scan of the member list, and the RN is deffinantly an RN, I believe we also have another paramedic and another EMT here... but those are only the names I'm familiar with.

When discussing the shelf life of Twinkies, the limiting factor is the life of the shelf.

If enough shit hits the fan, the blades stop rotating.

Howdy,
    I am a CRNA. Now that I found this site, I'll jump in from time to time and see what's happening. Hope I can help out some. I have done anesthesia for beau coup trauma, obstetrics, ortho, and general surgery. Kinda limited in vascular and neuro but have a general working knowledge. Glad to meet you,
    Jag

deerwchr Guest
    Welcome, glad you made it here. Hope my post to you on Assault Web gave you the directions.

18B - youch! that hurt That's a weapons guy on the team. I'm an 18D - get it straight or the black helicopters will be coming for you (ha ha)

Dan
    www.gogetemgear.com

How about more introductions from the new folks. Com'on, don't be shy. Stop by and say "howdy" and tell us a bit of your interests. Never know, might bump into someone with similar interests. :D

RR

INtro for Melinda and others

Pleasure to meet y'all. :) I'm from western NY, and currently employed as a repairman. Repair what? Well, locks, heating, AC, refrigeration, and whatever pays money. :p

My interest int he board is that I see society changing rapidly. :( And I have little confidence that the services we need are going to be there in the future. :( Hmm. Must be time to learn, and to stock up on stuff. :D One of my "stock up" is things like bandaids and medications.

I have essentially no formal med training. Stack of expired first aid and CPR cards. :( But, I do a lot of reading, and have a bit of horse sense. I know enough not to hang 11 liters of saline on a patient who acts alert and normal. Not acting shocky or hypovolemic. :-)

I am the moderator of two survival email groups, and you may email me to ask about them. My email is

cayoung@bluefrognet.net

Christopher Young

:)
    Christopher A. Young
    Do good work. It's longer in the short run
    but shorter in the long run.

Hello everyone. I have a couple posts here, but it has been awhile and I thought I should re-introduce myself. Some of you who visit Frugal's may know me from there. I am a co-moderator with RR on the Survival Medicine board. RR asked me to help out here while he is gone on his voyages.

I am a critical care float RN. I work ICU, CCU, SICU (surgical ICU), and the stepdown units. I have been a nurse for 7 years, working critical care since I graduated. I am contemplating continuing on for my BSN and then maybe CRNA school.

Outside of the hospital, my interests are varied. I like hunting, fishing and camping. Of course, I am into survival/preparedness planning. My favorite "hobby" is storm chasing, I love a good storm!

Hi NurseMan,
    Welcome aboard. I am a CRNA. Hope you get in to anesthesia school. It can be a very rewarding occupation, just a little long on the hours sometimes.
    Jag

Thanks jag. Right now i need to look at my BSN 1st. I went to a three year diploma school and would have to get my BSN to even think about it any further. The problem for CRNA is that there aren't any schools in my area. I would have to move and for the next few years at least, that is not an option.

I guess it is my turn. I am an asbestos abatement supervisor
    and father of three. I worked as a CNA for 2 years got tired of all the crap (no pun intended). Now I am taking the EMT-B class at the community college. The instructor was the number one emt or paramedic a couple of years ago. I am not sure if it was state or national, if anyone knows his name is Wesley Gay. He has taught most of the first resonders and emts in this areas. I welcome any and all comments and will probably post questions as the class goes along. We are using the Brady Emergency Care 9th edtion in this class. 16 weeks 10 hours per week plus the clincals. The instructor is trying to set up a rotation for some of us at Elvis Presley Trauma Center in Memphis, Tn. there are 28 members in this class the second largest in the state.

Asbestosman, please feel free to post questions as you progress through the course. We'd be more than happy to assist and the questions as well as the answers may prove beneficial to others as well.

Did my EMT back in "76. Guess that officially makes me an old fart. :P

RR

Guess that officially makes me an old fart.
    I thought I smelled something... :D

Smile Better Late than never!

Hello all,

I am from Florida.I have worked as a Fire Rescue First Responder for several years.My duties included:

Tech. rescue
    Extrication Tech.
    Safety Officer(I hold the rank of Lt.)
    Fire Fighting(structures and Brush)
    Haz mat. team
    We run first response on all medical calls.

I was also a combat lifesaver in the Army.
    I have worked as a EMT-B for a private ambulance company here lately.But I hurt my back and cant hardly move 300 pound patients around anymore!

My interests include-
    Boy Scouts(assnt Scout leader)
    Power Lifting(not since I hurt my back!)
    Food storage,firearms,
    Survivalism-Florida Survivalist Network-http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FloridaSurvivalistNetwork/
    A thousand shall fall at thy side,
    and ten thousand at thy right hand;
    but it shall not come nigh to thee.
    Psalm 91