Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Fla_Medic Checking In.

Greetings to everyone, Iíve just finished reading the Introductions thread and feel like Iíve found a wonderful place to hang my hat. Iím amazed I hadnít stumbled upon this site in my years on the net. Many thanks to Indigo Girl for sending me the link.

As far as who and what I am, Iím a decrepit retired paramedic (age 53 tomorrow), with a lot of miles on him.

I got started in EMS when I was 18, and began working for a volunteer ambulance in Land oí Lakes, Florida. After a few months, with some calls under my belt, I moved on to several `professionalí ambulance services in Pinellas County, and quickly completed an EMT course.

In the summer of 1974, St. Petersburg J.C. offered the first DOT 480 hour paramedic course in the State of Florida. I was lucky enough to be accepted, and graduated in Sept of that year. Unfortunately, there were no ALS equipped ambulance services (Duval County FD being an exception), so I moved to Phoenix, Arizona and worked for Kords Ambulance, running a funky ALS unit (actually a converted RV) out of Scottsdale Memorial Hospital with a couple of ICU nurses.

I returned to Florida and worked for Manatee County EMS for several years, and was granted the first State grant ALS unit in early 1976. We used the old Motorola Orange Box Telemetry and Lifepack 5ís. For a year, I was the only paramedic in the county, and pulled a lot of overtime shifts!

I was an American Heart Association and an American Red Cross CPR instructor, and was the in-service paramedic-training instructor for our county EMS. I also spent a good deal of time on the `rubber chicken circuití doing public education presentations for the local health department and EMS.

I left the EMS in 1979 due to an injury, but stayed active in the medical world by becoming a computer programmer/consultant that had many doctors and a couple of hospitals as clients. I developed nosocomial infection tracking software, among other goodies.

Iíve spent a good deal of my adult life living aboard sailboats, and have cruised the waters of Florida extensively. I still hold hope that Iíll make it to the South Pacific someday.

Today Iím temporarily landlocked, but spend my time maintaining a blog on avian influenza, and writing articles on (of all things) austere medicine for several flu/survival related forums. I'm also a mod on a hurricane forum.

I look forward to being a member of this group.

Fla_Medic

Nice to see you here.

May I be the first to wish you a Happy Birthday.

I don't think you are that decrepit. You certainly do have
    lots of miles left, IMO.

I am not much of a poster here, but I have enormous respect for
    this site, and the expertise of its members. I am glad that I told
    you about it.

indigo

And may I welcome you to the forums. I dare say you beat me to the EMS game by a few years though not much. Got into the game 2 months out of HS, stayed with it for 24 years before I got "beat up" (drunk driver, line of duty no less!).

Looking forward to your input.

RR
    Knowledge shared is learning gained by both teacher and student.

cactus wren Guest
    Hi everyone.
    I`m an old country nurse who is trying to get offically retired.
    After 30 years this chick is plumb worn out.
    Spent most of the years in small ICUs and small ERs.
    It certainally did get interesting at times.Hantavirus with the CDC walking around me and my patient in bunny suits.Pneumonic plague, Legionairres stick out also.
    I had always planned on joining the Peace Corps or somesuch in my declining years, but it seems that H5N1 may have changed my mind.( I`m old enough to remember JFK)

Hello

Nice to see you cactus. I remember JFK too.

Big welcome to all these new members.

I want to thank Indigo for directing me to this cool place! My interests lie in the herbal/naturally ocurring things.....and being able to get things done by thinking "outside the box". It seems this is the forum to find new ideas.
    My background is pretty much hospital-based. Working fulltime as a staff RN on a really busy cardiac unit. Some days I feel like a drug pusher I love the one on one and teaching part of my job........you can have the rest.
    Looking forward to getting my eyes opened to new and different ways of taking care of people.

Quote Originally Posted by cactus wren View Post
    I had always planned on joining the Peace Corps or somesuch in my declining years, but it seems that H5N1 may have changed my mind.( I`m old enough to remember JFK)
    I was in the 6th grade when he was killed.
    WolfBrother

People you take care of never want to hear you say "Dang!!! Look at that!".

Any/all article's posted are reproduced in accordance with Section 107 of title 17 of the Copyright Law of the United States relating to fair-use and is for the purposes of criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.

Got the link to here from TB2K and decided that I should go where there are people I know. Sorry RR, but it wouldn't accept TB2K as a reference, so I used you. It was your post there that got me here.

Although I'm working on a new story, I'll need to be very careful where I post it - it's my protest piece to some things I don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Tired Old Man View Post
    Got the link to here from TB2K and decided that I should go where there are people I know. Sorry RR, but it wouldn't accept TB2K as a reference, so I used you. It was your post there that got me here.

Although I'm working on a new story, I'll need to be very careful where I post it - it's my protest piece to some things I don't like.

Hey, TOM! Good to see you.
    Emergency Medicine - saving the world from itself, one person at a time. Life guarding the shallow end of the gene pool. Your first stop on your last trip, and the backstop to all other medical specialites.

hey guys
    i found this through the PDF file and i was told i could find tangeant here. Long time no talk dude.

I dont have any med training, that will hopefully change soon. Im here to learn all i can. SOme of you guys may recognize me from GOTX and Frugals.

welcome to this forum.

Hello everyone,
    This site is outstanding. Thanks to the originators, and to the authors of the Survival and Austere Medicine book.

In my previous life work evolved around working w/ wood, building houses, stay at home dad, part-time guy.
    For the past 9 years I have been in the nursing career. LNA, LPN, and the last 6yrs an RN in a progressive care unit. I was the towns Health Officer for 3 years. And in that same rural town in VT an EMT for ~ 4 years. Presently in my town, I am the #2 guy for Emergancy Managment.

I look forward to the future w/ everyone.
    Enjoy the day. Dwayne
    Last edited by fishdog; 10-25-07 at 20:17.

Ambulance Officer with ACT Ambulance in Australia. Advanced First Aid (a bit less than EMT-Basic in US. 02, OP airways, Salbutamol and Penthrane. No cannulation or intubation.) Also on our version of SAR team, the State Emergency Service which specializes in Land SAR, storm damage, General and Disaster rescue and flood rescue in my area.

Here to learn all I can about remote medicine, with an academic interest in austere medicine and techniques.

Hi to all.

Brendag, once hosted an officer from NSW when I was an EMS Director. He wanted to "see some action" so the guy he was visiting sent him our way. Motocross races = femur fracture. He was grinning from ear-to-ear when he left.Then too might have been the neat toys we had also.

Welcome to the board. More than interested in any reports of EMS in action down your way.

Eagle1