Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
Introduction - Page 3
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Greetings!

Dustmusher, we are glad to have you with us. I have no doubt that someone with your background may prove to possess knowledge of use to many of our readers. Don't forget to use the "Showing threads from" feature and select "the beginning" to show everything in a particular forum. New info always welcome.

RR
    Knowledge shared is learning gained by both teacher and student.

Brief Intro

Welcome, all. I'm honored to be a part of this medical discussion board. I'm a 40 year old repairman, suburb of Rochester, NY, USA. My medical background is a dozen or so first aid and CPR courses, long since expired. I think I remember most of it (which makes me dangerous, as you know). I've got no ambulance or hospital experience, so I rely on you to help me understand things. I did get a chance to meet RR last year, and I was impressed. Very pleasant fellow, with a good background in medicine. My sense is that medical care is geting more highly regulated, and as time passes, will be more important for me to do more of my own medical care, and possibly help with close trusted friends. I'm trying to prepare ahead of the need, having some bandages and such at home, before the need. I'm open to any advice or counsell on what things to learn, and what to have in the first aid kit.

Christopher Young
    (bandage roller)
    Christopher A. Young
    Do good work. It's longer in the short run
    but shorter in the long run.

new here

I hate it when I'm asked to stand up in front of a group and introduce myself, this isn't any easier. So I'll just say "HI" and post my (bounced) email to the webmaster from earlier today.

Sigh, I've been lurking on and off for quite a while now. Earlier this spring I was ready to make the plunge and join-I even had a name and sig line(?) picked out. Then I read the information about joining and then contributing. I'm only a First Responder, what I'd have to contribute I have no idea. Other than an article I'm toying with writing about using the poly and poly-blend fabrics that turn up in so many donations and are so tough to use or dispose of, I truly wouldn't have anything to say. And now there's the CD offer. Do you ever make exceptions and let the well-meaning useless join?

That's it. That's me. Faint
    Flat out to the scene,
    Flat out at the scene.

Faint, everyone has something to contribute. Medical dissertations aren't expected, only give and take. Asking questions provides the opportunity for answers which means we all have a chance to learn.

Contribute what you can, even questions. That is all we ask. Offer a suggestion, open a discussion, ask for clarification on an issue. It all adds up to the opportunity to learn.

RR

Greetings to All,

My name is Steve (Skipper) and I am a transportation designer/industrial designer by profession, you know …boats and trains, and planes …Oh My!. The design firm I'm with is Boeing's Primary design consultant. I am currently refreshing my prehospital care skills by taking a First Responder course. My goal is to also get certified as an EMT. I have training in Tactical First Aid as well as Wilderness First Aid. After my military service in the Navy, 71-75 (in/around/and over Vietnam), I have used my skills (what’s left of them) in wilderness / climbing rescue situations, industrial situations, and auto accidents. Each time I wished that I had "fresh skills", or more "tools/knowledge" for helping.

Since 9/11 I realize that this knowledge is vital to have for my family, friends, and the greater world around me. Since 9/11 I have taken on the task of being my firms safety officer and bringing our company up to snuff in training and supplies. I am also currently receiving my CERT certification. Boeing requires a certain level of training but they are primarily concerned with 2-5 minutes of care only, then the “Pros” show up. That is fine in a pre 9/11 world, or if there are no natural disasters that keep them from making it to your site. With our folks who we traditionally rely upon to care for us in bad times, either otherwise engaged. Stretched so thin by new responsibilities and challenges, new dangers, this seems at best optimistic but I feel that is just foolish. I need skills that will allow me to provide care for as long as it takes.

Thanks to all those responsible for this forum, as well as all of you who contribute.

Best Regards,

Skipper

Skipper, glad to have you with us. Your previous experiences may just as relevant today as they were yesterday. Austere medicine requires thinking "outside the box" at times, which means occasionally looking beyond hi-tech and reviewing what worked in the past.

RR

studentnurse Guest

Just joined!

Just wanted to stop by and say Hey folks. Just joined in on this board and I am excited. I have basic CPR skills and first aid skills. I am currently going to school to become a RN. Thanks for providing such a great place to learn. Hope we all can learn from such knowledgeable people that are here. Thanks again and God bless,
    student nurse

Just Joined

Welcome, Student Nurse. You should find lots of valueable information on here. Got questions ask, someone will be able to help you. :)

Hari Seldon checking in..

A few here will probably recognize me from my former participation on a rather popular self-reliance & preparedness message board. Hello friends!

I am a fire-officer in a metropolitan fire dept. Though my certification is currently expired, I moon-lighted as an EMT on the ambulance service for the same city. During my 2 years of this work, I have seen a couple of gun shot victims, many assaults, cardiac arrests & CPR, several motor vehicle accidents, and I (with my partner) delivered 2 babies (on different occasions -- not twins). Our city has high crime, a large welfare class, and a typical municipal bureaucracy.

Currently, my firefighting duties expose me to plenty of vehicle accidents, as well as tons of CVA & MI calls. I am certain to have to do CPR at LEAST once a month.

My wife is a critical care RN in a major hospital. Her skills & knowledge keep me sharp & fresh. With her help, I expand my medical understanding & comprehension.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything!

Guess I should introduce myself too.

It has been a while since I have been hanging around, moving from Arizona back home to Idaho probably had something to do with that! :D

I have worked several different areas in the medical field; started my training in the army as an LPN, took time off to be a stay-at-home mom for a couple of great kids, taught at a Medical Assistant program, was a school nurse, and then went into medical transcription. Well now I find myself back to teaching Medical Asistant's. I also help a friend by proofreading his nutrtional newsletter. I am going to try to find time to get back to school myself, need to get recertified in several different areas, and am even considering going on for something higher like maybe a PA or NP, but neither one is offered in this immediate area and part of the reason I moved back home was to help with family, so time will tell on that one. Who knows, maybe by the time I finish my prerequisites, they will start a program here!

I also have an interest in alternative medicine and have been working on learning herbs and iridology, both which I find very fascinating.
    Buffalomary

To know how to do something, but never needing to do it,
    is better than needing to do something and not knowing how!

Re: Guess I should introduce myself too.

Originally posted by Buffalomary
    I also help a friend by proofreading his nutrtional newsletter.
    I couldn't help myself. :D

A hearty welcome to all the new members. Please grab a bench; the lecture is about to begin. Today's topic is austere medical care. The speakers are well known, being members of this board. In fact, they are YOU! Everyone has something to contribute, whether questions, answers or just emotional support. Remember, every expert, no matter what their field of endeavor nor how lofty their current status, was once themself a beginner. All of us learn by asking.

RR

:oops:

Oh well, what can I say, I am definitely human!!
    Buffalomary

To know how to do something, but never needing to do it,
    is better than needing to do something and not knowing how!

I think I found a new home (or at least a great place to visit...)

Hello all,

Some of you will know me from some of the other tactical oriented boards out there.

I'm live in Toronto, and have been in the private sector security and law enforcment field for the past 15 years. More recently, I've been upgrading my skills in emergency medicine (and having a great time with it), and got my EMR certificate last spring. My other non-LE training includes High Angle Rope Rescue, Wilderness Search and Rescue, and HAZMAT level 1 and 2 . While we do run a fair number of medical calls, we still don't do the volume that full time EMS folks do, so I try to keep fresh and current with lots of reading and CME. I've done the BTLS and BTLS Peds programs, and am signed up for 80 hours of WMA's Wilderness First Responder program in February.

Personal interests outside of work include world travel (8 countries and counting), back country travel, and distance backpacking.

I'm glad to have linked over to this board, as it has a lot more depth on the medical side than the other boards I've been at in the past.

Cheers, and a pleasure to meet you all!

Greetings Maple Flag. Glad to have you with us and hope that you will feel free to contribute your knowledge often.

RR

Hello All, I hope you don't mind someone who hangs on the fringes of the medical world. I must have had some connection in a past life and for me the healing arts are a big part of who I am. I'm a degreed Nutritionist and Food Scientist. The daughter of a microbiologist...I grew up in university labs LOL. I went through a med fellowship program at a pathology lab that included assistance in autopsy and sat on an IRB board in OKC for 2 years. I am a licensed Massage Therapist, an avid gardner and homesteader. I tend to lean toward alternatives and nutrition as my medicine....my family hasn't seen an MD for illness in years. Hippocrates is quoted as saying "Make food your medicine and your medicine food" (or at least something like that) and I take this to heart. I hope I can contribute to this wonderful forum with all its diverse knowledge and participants...BG