Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 118
Introduction - Page 4
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Greetings, BG. An impressive credential list that I am sure will stand you in good stead here. Please feel free to contribute any time, we truly welcome it.

RR
    Knowledge shared is learning gained by both teacher and student.

Wow - I can't believe I never saw this thread before.

I've been less active around here in the past year due to the birth of my first child, but still manage to lurk a bit.

I'm an ex-Army National Guard Medic/EMT, w/ a Physiology/Neurobiology undergraduate Degree, now a Physician Assistant (specializing primarily in general & vascular surgery, with a little neurosurgery & plastics thrown in as well) w/ all the certs that usually accompany such a job.

I hope to be a bit more productive in the future :)

Sam
    Last edited by Flotsam; 06-19-04 at 23:07.

Smile

Flotsam, we look forward to seeing more of you. You have proven to be a wealth of knowledge and knowledge, after all, is what we all seek.

Congrats on the recent addition. Perhaps a few pointers that some of us older dads have long forgotten?

RR

Hello to all the good folks of this board. Looks like a lot of great information here. I don't know how much I'll be posting, but I will be reading. :wink:

nurse Guest

new here

just wanted to drop in and say hello.
    This is a great place.
    I am in the RN nursing program at a local college.
    I hope to learn alot and teach alot.
    Thanks for a great forum.

Welcome to the forums.

Talking

New members are encouraged to stop by and introduce themselves. Give us a chance to say "Hello," and gain a little insight to your interests in medicine.

To all who have recently registered, Greetings.

RR

Greetings, I found this site through another forum. Looks like a good resource to have. I've been a Paramedic for about 10 years now and have done a little bit of everything in EMS. Currently in Iraq as a civilian contractor. Looking forward to learning from everyone. Hopefully I will be able to contribute something worthwhile every now and then.

Hello everybody.

I'm a 30-years old french man, living in Paris until I move out to the Province in summer. I can be considered a survivalist, and I post on the Australian Survivalist Forum.

I graduated from a business / management school, and worked for 4 years in the e-banking sector (IT and Internet used in banking applications).
    Before the 2002 e-krach, I decided to change everything in my life (which I considered a failure so far) and became High School teacher (MUCH better) in History, Geography and Civic Education.

From next September on, I'll be able to teach these subjects in english and in german (my mother tongue) (it's complex, don't ask )

My eldest brother and his wife are doctors, he's actually a doctor-engineer (having titles in both) developping various medical software for the state hospitals, she's a Remplacement MD (working when the other MDs take their vacations) (which is quite often, it seems :wink: )

My presence here is motivated by the fact that I am building up an Advanced Medical Kit, as a part of my preparations. It is "advanced" because I can't manage its content by myself, I do prepare for others.

I don't know if the figure of the doctor in the novel "Alas, Babylon" is well-known here, but the idea of a doctor improvising instruments with knives and junk, though thought-provoking, didn't please me.

I told myself : should TSHTF, my children will have their appendice removed (or their shotwounds cured) the proper way.
    Hence, it is out of selfishness that I build up preps for somebody else.

I have a simple First Aid licence, and intend to spend some time perfecting myself on First Aid. Eventually, I would like to have basic medical knowledge, so I can suture a wound or make a book-based diagnosis. Things you do when Post-SHTF doctors, distant from several kilometers, want to be paid three kilos of wheat per hour (! ) :wink:

This forum here is a great idea. I don't think emergency medecine should be compulsory (if the doctor is up to requirements, he will be able to handle most of the first phases, and will be taught how to proceed in the other stages), but the aspect of medecine is precious.

Welcome McMedic and Solsys!

Solsys,

I hope something was lost in translation.. Do you really need a "First Aid LICENCE" in order to practice first aid in France???

Are you held liable or do you have "good semarian" laws?

just querious...

-t
    When discussing the shelf life of Twinkies, the limiting factor is the life of the shelf.

If enough shit hits the fan, the blades stop rotating.

Well in France you are liable for everything you do. If you make first aid actions to help a victim and it ends up well, good for you (and for the victim).

If something goes wrong, if you had a FA cerification (you attended courses and received a licence for that, usually a little plastic card (credit-card sized) or driving-license-sized), then you're free of charge (unless you did a gross mistake, of course), but if you don't, then expect big trouble.

Of course, you are also in trouble if you just stand there and watch.
    So the best thing in an accident is to call the emergency services, or go to a pharmacy, or talk to the victim, rather than do nothing.

Kafkaian, but true

Abotu 5% of the french population has good notions of First Aid (and better). I guess if we leave the medical personnel and other professionals out, that doesn't leave many other people...

Hearty greetings to McMedic and Solsys. Please feel free to jump in anytime, anywhere. Your views and experiences are valued.

RR

Hello all
    I am currently in school to get my R.N. I have my generals out of the way and am waiting to get admitted into the R.N. program.
    I am a certified nursing asst. long term and short term. currently I am working in the steel industry to pay the bills and get my wife finished up with her teaching degree.
    dont know if I will have much to contribute but I'm sure I will have tons of questions.
    oh almost forgot I live in nw minnesota ( yes the snow gets butt deep here) and right now its so cold the polar bears are heading south!!
    This looks like a great site and Im looking foward to all the information I can glean.

Thumbs up

Welcome sluggerman. There is lots of good info on this board. If you got question freel free to ask tham as there is lots of folks here with lots of knowledge.

Hi everyone,
    I'm a military medical student (but hopefully a military doctor in about 4 weeks :S) I'm training in the UK. My special interest is resuscitation of the critically ill patient and I'm always looking for new ways to do things, especially if they are applicable to my future career.
    So far I've seen some interesting stuff - Thanks!