Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Hello. I have been lurking on this site for a while and thought I should introduce myself. (I have been told I don't play well with others ) I have been in EMS for about ten years now. I started doing Industrial EMS for a corporation here in Dallas and then worked in the ER of a level two trauma center for a number of years. I am currently a NREMT-Paramedic and a Licensed Paramedic with the State of Texas. I hold teaching credentials in BCLS, ACLS, PALS, PEPP, GEMS, AMLS, PHTLS and TBI. I also hold an instructor's rating at the paramedic level with the state. Currently I am the Clinical Coordinator for the EMS Education Department at Brookhaven College. I teach as often as I can (not nuch time for that any more ) and enjoy the interaction with the students. I have already incorporated some of the information from this site into my lectures. I hope no one minds. Just for the record, LLKNP stands for Low Life Know Nothing Paramedic.(seems to be the opinion of some of the higher life forms in Emergency Medicine ) Thanks

Welcome!

I'm not sure which life forms are causing you distress, but this life form says howdy!
    Emergency Medicine - saving the world from itself, one person at a time. Life guarding the shallow end of the gene pool. Your first stop on your last trip, and the backstop to all other medical specialites.

Doc, Lets just say that a disproportionate number of the "life forms" lie between you and me on the ER food chain. Jealousy does NOT become them! (or is that fear???)

Actually, my experience has generally been that RN's, Paramedics, PA's, etc are pretty much treated as equils in ER's - it's the Techs, EMTs and LPN's that get treated like "low life, know nothing life forms..." by the docs. (though if it's slow, they will show you how to do stuff and pass on teaching tips - if they are not sleeping or eating or doing paperwork, that is...)

A lightly staffed ER, with a low pt load, say at 3AM on a weekday is an educational nirvona for us low lifes... ;)

-t
    When discussing the shelf life of Twinkies, the limiting factor is the life of the shelf.

Tangent, You are right about the educational nirvana. I learned to suture and staple from a PA one night when the load eased up. I have also seen Docs pierce various and odd body parts for the ER staff during those same times . Now THAT was an education!

Introduction

Gooday Ladies and Gents

Just a quick Hi and intro - Uk Paramedic / Rig Medic - ex military medic- spent two years in Iraq as Paramedic Supervisor setting up clinics to support US Ops and moved across to CP Team Medic. More recently worked in Banda Aceh following Tsunami and more recently Offshore Nigeria. Looking for any opening to gain further experience overseas

Cheers

BZ

Hello, just found this excellent site after searching for the fiction piece "Patriot Aide Station". My medical experience is limited to being the primary caregiver to my medically fragile son Zain who died from the genetic disorder Hurler Syndrome. After he passed away I took an Entry Level EMT course thinking I'd like to attempt medical school. Ended up in an occupational therapy major and worked in an adult care home for extremly mentally ill folks. After graduating with a minor in birth to five special education and a BA in Therapeutic Studies with a focus on elder care and pediatrics, I ended up getting a multiple subject teaching credential for elementary school.
    I currently teach a combination 6-7-8th grade junior high class. Have used my mixed bag of medical experience in helping care for family members passing away from cancer. And I have used my now rusty EMT/First Aide skills as a teacher on the playground (seizures, cuts and students who have self inflicted injuries).
    My goal is to continue my studies in the use of herbs and tinctures, local native plants (medicinal and edible), as well as learn more about wilderness first aide.
    Our family has finally made it to our little piece of heaven in the Siskiyou Mountians of the far northern CALIF.
    We are busy clearing land, building and repairing shelter, and struggling to find enough time to do all that needs to be done and still keep a strong sense of humor.
    I hope to find some way to contribute and look forward to learning a lot from the folks on this site. Sis

Quote Originally Posted by Siskiyoumom
    Hello, just found this excellent site after searching for the fiction piece "Patriot Aide Station". My medical experience is limited to being the primary caregiver to my medically fragile son Zain who died from the genetic disorder Hurler Syndrome. After he passed away I took an Entry Level EMT course thinking I'd like to attempt medical school. Ended up in an occupational therapy major and worked in an adult care home for extremly mentally ill folks. After graduating with a minor in birth to five special education and a BA in Therapeutic Studies with a focus on elder care and pediatrics, I ended up getting a multiple subject teaching credential for elementary school.
    I currently teach a combination 6-7-8th grade junior high class. Have used my mixed bag of medical experience in helping care for family members passing away from cancer. And I have used my now rusty EMT/First Aide skills as a teacher on the playground (seizures, cuts and students who have self inflicted injuries).
    My goal is to continue my studies in the use of herbs and tinctures, local native plants (medicinal and edible), as well as learn more about wilderness first aide.
    Our family has finally made it to our little piece of heaven in the Siskiyou Mountians of the far northern CALIF.
    We are busy clearing land, building and repairing shelter, and struggling to find enough time to do all that needs to be done and still keep a strong sense of humor.
    I hope to find some way to contribute and look forward to learning a lot from the folks on this site. Sis

Welcome over here. I think you'll find a few familiar names...
    Emergency Medicine - saving the world from itself, one person at a time. Life guarding the shallow end of the gene pool. Your first stop on your last trip, and the backstop to all other medical specialites.

Quote Originally Posted by Siskiyoumom
    Nice to have you here!

Smile Long time, no see...

Been a while since I even was able to lurk here...

Some may remember me as the 13 year old dispensing NBC and hazmat advice a while back.

I've been in EMT and paramedic school since I stopped posting and lurking here and at FS. Graduated HS last month, and should be on my way to a state university here in FL for their seven-year BS/MD program.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep learning and maybe contribute something again here and at FS.

Glad to see everything going strong.

CivilDefense2002
    This is basic civil defense information from the Department of Defense, Office of Civil Defense, Washington....

Hey, hey, CD - nice to see you around! Gators, or Seminoles, or UofM?

None of them, going to University of South Florida in Tampa.

CivilDefense2002
    This is basic civil defense information from the Department of Defense, Office of Civil Defense, Washington....

Talking Introduction

I am an EMT-Paramedic/Firefighter currently looking for an international deployment opportunity in order to practice my skills abroad.

I currently work as an EMS Division Chief in Idaho.

I worked, in 2001, under a 3 month contract with the NGO Samaritans Purse as a Paramedic/Logistician to assist in the management and operation of a demobilized child soldier camp containing 350 Sudanese boys.

I worked in disaster relief in Honduras after Huricane Mitch in '98 and have traveled throughout several Central American countries. In May of 2000 I was able to teach an EMT class on the island of Guanaja.

I am an avid horseback rider and enjoy diving, rock climbing, water and jet skiiing and of course travelling.

Would love to meet new people on the forum.

Firepup, welcome aboard. Would very much welcome detailed accounts of some of your overseas exploits, that we all may learn.

RR
    Knowledge shared is learning gained by both teacher and student.

Hello, all

I was referred here by a current member (who shall remain nameless for fear of just retribution).

I'm a private practice veterinarian in southern NH and I primarily practice on small animals and exotics. I treat a disproportionate number of English Bulldogs and I'm active in English Bulldog rescue.

I have collected camouflage uniforms for over 20 years but I'm now primarily interested in LBE and kit... using same to hike often in the White Mountains.

Looking forward to hanging out here, thanks for having me.