Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

ANVIL Guest

Hello

I received an e-mail today that said I needed to become involved of lose my spot on the membership list. Thank you for the heads up.
    My medical background is as a combat medic in the Army National Guard I was a 91B30 or a staff sgt/ platoon sgt of the medical platoon for a light infantry company. We really had to make do with just the supplies in out M-5 aid bags. Witch are larger and nicer then the new try fold bags.
    Any way I spent 12 years in the filed as a Medic. 6 years before that as a grunt. So my experience beyond school was all in the filed or the Bn aid station.
    I think that this is a type of medical training we need to focus more on. Why because I believe that the system will fail and there will not be a hospital or clinic that you can get to or that you will want to go to in a shtf event. So you need to learn at lest how to do good expedient first.
    I am also interested in natural plants/herbs that you can grow to help take care of your family. And how to properly use them to cure sickness of treat wounds.

Anvil

Monster's Intro

Hi guys, Iím Adam. Iím a former Jarhead turned Coastie and an advanced boat tactics instructor for the Coast Guard, Marine Corps and Navy onboard Camp Lejeune. I worked as an EMT-I / P before the Coast Guard, and currently as an EMT- T.
    Education is what you get when you read the fine print,
    Experience is what you get when you donít.

Hi guys...just joined, recognise a few faces and i look forward to being a part of the forum.

Im former UK Armed Forces and no working as a security contractor.

Diesel..

post or lose membership

I don't have any medical training, so I lurk here trying to find info. My son and his family are missionaries in Cambodia and I try to find info to send to them. I also look for info for myself. I don't have anything to contribute to the site, but I like the info I have found here.
    Ron

It's been so long since I have been here.

So I figure that I should start all over and go from there. I am a former EMT-B who is planning on going to the University of North Texas. I will be studying Emergency Management(www.unt.edu/eadp). I am planning on the following steps to complement my career and make me more flexible in jobs/events/so forth.
    Get my EMT-B and upgrade to at least EMT-I if not higher(time permitting).
    Take ResQDoc's Remote and Independent EMT course.
    Get my SAR certs in:Swiftwater rescue, high angle rescue, general SAR, and either Confined Space rescue or cave rescue.
    I intend to specialize in Homeland Security and I am including Hazmat Tech certs and hopefully find a way to take the COBRA course along with other training in WMD.

Little bit about me, I am a redneck living in Austin, TX for the moment and will be moving up to Ft. Worth/Denton area soon. I like country music, firearms, very pro-rights and mostly conservative. I am going to be having fun on the forum again. Just totally forgot about this place earlier. Have a great day and Vaya con Dios!
    Gary L. Miller, former EMT-B
    emsmiller@yahoo.com
    Vote Freedom 1st!
    Molon Labe

Helps for people wanting to learn skills

Im afield a lot and havent posted in a while.

I began as a MLT (Medical Laboratory Technician) many years ago but stopped working at that in 1974. Needless to say there have been tons of changes since then. I have also worked at volunteer positions in Haiti, Dominican Republic and Central American countries for years... most likely guilty of practicing medicine without a license.

To get started in patient care you need some training. I had hospital and ER experience but I also found GREAT teaching aids from the Hesperian Foundation www.hesperian.org

They are the folks who publish "Where There is No Doctor" in many languages, a manual for training 3rd world village health workers. They also Publish "Where There is No Dentist" and a manual for midwives.

I also studied herbalism. As you know herbalists are not permitted to practice in the USA unless they are some other kind of doctor, ie. chiropractors etc. There is NO simple difinitive work to learn herbalism. That is because herbs are not all safe and often inter-react with other substances. Sometimes to make a remedy, it is necessary to combine herbs. This is called "Synergy" where the sum total is greater in effect then the seperate combined ingredients.

For herbals or hern books.. I have found the following invaluable.

THE HERB BOOK by John Lust available in paperback so cheap its rediculous from Bantam Books ISBN 0-553-20148-4

HERBALLY YOURS by Penny C. Royal BiWorld Publishing also paperback.. thin but packed with recipes and info. assumes you know something about herbal medicine ISBN 0-89557-012-2

THE COMPLETE MEDICINAL HERBAL by Penelope Ody forward by Mark Blumenthal.. Dir American Botanical Council.. Dorling Kindersley Publisher
    ISBN 1-56458-187-X

there are TONS more.

For a HUGE archive online about herbal medicine go to Michael Moore's page for Southwest School of Botanical Medicine
    http://www.swsbm.com/homepage/
    complete works of 19th century physicians (eclectics) who practiced herbal as well as allopathic medicine.. All free to download. hope you have broadband otherwise takes long time. Thousands of pages and pictures

Here's another thought.. just my opinion.

Paramedic training does not really help that much. I had some some training like that to work in the ER, but it never helped me in 3rd world countries that much. Here's why.

Training nowadays assumes you have access to all the new "throw away" supplies and equipment. It's almost impossible to find "re-usable glass syrenges and re-sterelizable needles" any more. Unless you are "well heeled" you arent going to have everything an ER or modern ambulance carries.

Keeping that stuff replenished is also a problem as most places wont sell without a prescription and its hard to find a doctor willing to give someone a "blank check". In most developing countries most everything can be purchased in any pharmacy without a prescription, except narcotics. WE steered away from IVs because of the cost and risks of infection and other complications. WE rehydrated by mouth. The book "where there is no doctor" tells a lot about improvising, but when I was in Haiti, there were cases we simply had to carry overland to hospitals in Port au Prince or Cap Hatian.

NO MAN IS AN ISLAND and there will simply be situations where you really need a hospital or doctor's help. However, these and other medical books will go a long way to helping you stay away from doctors except as a last resort.

I have a lot of resources and reference materials and will try to suggest specific books or equipment to anyone that emails with a question. Remember I am in the field a lot too and may not get your email or forum post for a long time in between, but I will try to respond.

My name is Sean.Iam an EMT IV working in an ICU as a monitor tech, and I have just begun working towards an RN.I really enjoy the outdoors and plan to eventually do the wilderness emt upgrade. I am a bit of a bookworm and a knowledge junkie and as such ,really appreciate having access to a forum like this.Many thanks to all who contribute thier time.
    Regards,
    SF
    "In valor,
    there is hope"

A very sincere and hearty welcome to the new folks as well as those we have not seen in a while.

RR
    Knowledge shared is learning gained by both teacher and student.

Hello Folks. I'm not new here but don't post much as I'm not very knowledgeable about most medical things. I guess I'm basically a lurker to remain on here it would be appreciated. though I do get a good bit of useful info here. I have also sent some of my group to seminars that have been put on by a member of this board.

I also enjoy reading Reasonable Rascals story also. If you allow me to remain on here it will be appreciated. If not I understand.

Talking In and out...

The last few years, I've been in and out of here, seeking knowledge about certain cancers, and guys this board came thru... thanks!

Cool

Sorry I have been so very absent but bewteen working at the long term care center part time and running on the ambulace service as much as possible I didn't have much time before but now I am back in college working toward my LPN then my EMT-I then my RN. Busy busy busy. Not to mention a 7 yo son and a boyfriend too oh yeah almost forgot the animals. he he he he!
    Glad to see others I've met in the past here too!!
    Gotta run I am on call in 20 minutes !!!
    Connie

[QUOTE=Andrew Dennison]Im afield a lot and havent posted in a while.

I began as a MLT (Medical Laboratory Technician) many years ago but stopped working at that in 1974. Needless to say there have been tons of changes since then. I have also worked at volunteer positions in Haiti, Dominican Republic and Central American countries for years... most likely guilty of practicing medicine without a license.

To get started in patient care you need some training. I had hospital and ER experience but I also found GREAT teaching aids from the Hesperian Foundation www.hesperian.org

They are the folks who publish "Where There is No Doctor" in many languages, a manual for training 3rd world village health workers. They also Publish "Where There is No Dentist" and a manual for midwives.

Thanks for the info! - BTW - You can go to the Hesperian website and DOWNLOAD Where There Is No Doctor for free! - Thanks, Andrew!

> most likely guilty of practicing medicine without a license.

SCR*W THE STATE!

> To get started in patient care you need some training.

YES!

-t
    When discussing the shelf life of Twinkies, the limiting factor is the life of the shelf.

new to group

Just want to stop say Hello and let people know who i am. I am in the
    med field in Materials and also work on apart-time basis as telemetry
    tech and occasionally help out in the lab in another hospital..late 40's
    so no more vol. firefighter but still trained in crash site extracation. cpr
    trained like most healthcare workers and part of disaster team. Wife and i are
    quartermaster corp for our small and dwindling group(some people do not
    get it). I regularly get deals in good med supplies and use them for our group
    trade some and donate a lot to missions projects...There are a ton of in
    the know people on here and i am sure i can learn a ton and maybe even
    contribute a little.......thanks, Tom and Kim

Welcome Tom and Kim!

glad to have you aboard!

-t
    When discussing the shelf life of Twinkies, the limiting factor is the life of the shelf.