Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survival and Austere Medicine

Good Grief, tangent, never mind! Craig/RR bet they don't count the intro and index pages as pages numbered.

How wide spread do you want this to go ? Word of mouth and via the internet is fine with me. If you want me to go further in terms of getting numbers Ill do it - I can easily add a dollar to the cost to cover any charges.

I still see this as a low key project - when we fix all the errors (very few I hope) and add all the extras we ran out of time on we can do ISBN for the third edition?

Those that have ordered in the States will get there copies before I get mine so could you feed back on look and quality - as I said my only concern is resolution of the print on the front cover - but was impossible to tell from the sample display.

Craig

> I have a pdf in 8x11 if you prefer it to A4

I only got through printing half the book (ran out of ink), so lets see how it goes. It looks to be sizing it to fit and the page numbering is in the same place on each page... Looks fine as is.

btw: I edited to add (several times) on the info post re: getting the book registered. I know that drives you crazy, but go back and re-read the whole thing in case you viewed before I finished.

thanks,

-t

> How wide spread do you want this to go ? Word of mouth and via the internet is fine with me. If you want me to go further in terms of getting numbers Ill do it

> I still see this as a low key project - when we fix all the errors (very few I hope) and add all the extras we ran out of time on we can do ISBN for the third edition?

It seems like a ripe time to give it wider exposure... OTOH: How long do you think it would take to get a third edition out? Another 2 years? I was kind of disapointed that we didn't have more in the way of "howto" in there. There is mutch that isn't in the traditional texts.

Getting the numbers shouldn't cost more than $50 and offers good benifits. Particularly if libraries will pick it up. I don't see that many sales, but if it gets out there a litttle, we might get an offer from a real publisher for edition 3...

Considering the current political environment and some of the trash that is getting published... I mean it's a lot better than "The Worst Case Survival Handbook (Manual?)"

btw: what is the status of S.Roberts book and work on insulin production?

It seems that there are a number of orphan books on the topic, I can think of some related ones besides S.Roberts, and RQD is working on 2 books... Maybe we could do some networking for the third edition and pull together a compilation that would qualify as a serious BOOK! (like 500 - 800 pages)

-t

Quote Originally Posted by tangent
    btw: I edited to add (several times) on the info post re: getting the book registered. I know that drives you crazy, but go back and re-read the whole thing in case you viewed before I finished.
    It's not a drive it's a putt but we're used to it.

I'm game for holding off on the fancy work for now, whatever the final concensus is. My only concern is copyright so that no one takes it and pledgarizes the living daylights out of it and offers it as their own. I don't believe that is an issue since with publication we should be able to prove authorship very easily (unless Tangent takes the witness stand in which case they're likely to end up believing Genghis Khan was the author in fact).

Now that we have the outline so to speak any updates ought to be much easier. Perhaps add in a chapter on infectious disease control and isolation, by way of illustration.

The book is after all titled ":An Introduction." It fits and it does what was intended. It is not a how-to manual per se. For that you hit the references section to find the resources needed to actually perform those skilled procedures that, in the hands of the layperson, will send us more knowlegable types running quickly the other direction.

There could be an add-in next time around detailing alternative uses for certain medications. 101 Things You Can Do With Benadryl.... now there's a snazzy chapter title.

I've been hitting other boards with the news. No telling how many copies have been downloaded as a result. I tried tossing it up here on the board but so far it is not transferring cleanly off my machine - acts like it isn't a uploadable file.

Now the question is, aside from what's wrong with my files, is do we want/need a forum solely for public discussion of the book, or should folks just hit the appropriate forum?

RR
    Knowledge shared is learning gained by both teacher and student.

Could someone who frequents the misc.survivalism newsgroup post a link to the Aus survivalist site and the Cafepress site. I dont venture into that part of cyberspace any more - the frustrations dealing with the xyzphobics was to much for me.

We have plenty of scope to expand it for a third edition. Im very happy to incorportate it or for it to be incorporated into another text. If you want to develop chapters or redevelop chapters you are very welcome. When we have enough new or modified material we re-issue. Could be 6 months or 3 years - dont matter. But we are in a good position to move from here

Craig
    Last edited by Craig; 05-31-05 at 17:25.

I don't frequent there but I have them on my newsgroups. The xyzphobics are alive and well I'm afraid.

I'll make a post there now.

RR

P.S RR - I commited Tangents sin and re-edited the above post after you have read it LOL :wink:

For this grave transgression my son thou shall recite 5 mea culpas and 10 Hail Mary's.

RR

> My only concern is copyright so that no one takes it and pledgarizes the living daylights out of it and offers it as their own.

That can be a problem... I believe we gave copywrite to individual authors for this edition. Also, if we send a copy to the LOC (for cataloging), then it's easy to prove. Another advantage to getting the numbers.

> I don't believe that is an issue since with publication we should be able to prove authorship very easily (unless Tangent takes the witness stand in which case they're likely to end up believing Genghis Khan was the author in fact).

Genghis Khan? - I usually get told I resemble someone a bit more recognizable - like Jesus Christ, Charlie Manson, Johnny Depp or what is that guys name - crazy Scott that kicked a lot of Bitt butt... umm... William Wallace! - yeah, that's it!

> The book is after all titled ":An Introduction." It fits and it does what was intended. It is not a how-to manual per se. For that you hit the references section to find the resources needed to actually perform those skilled procedures that, in the hands of the layperson, will send us more knowlegable types running quickly the other direction.

Yes and no. Lets skip the chapter on do it yourself brain surgery, but there is a big void in the literature about if you can't get to a hospital or there will be a major delay. NWSS's chapter on medical care is a step in the right direction. Not so much a one stop textbook, but a next step to a basic class and a resource guide with an emphasis on long term care without supplies or help. A section on physiology post 1 hour after injury would be very good, as an example...

> There could be an add-in next time around detailing alternative uses for certain medications. 101 Things You Can Do With Benadryl.... now there's a snazzy chapter title.

I like it!

> I've been hitting other boards with the news. No telling how many copies have been downloaded as a result. I tried tossing it up here on the board but so far it is not transferring cleanly off my machine - acts like it isn't a uploadable file.

bummer on the upload problems - ask flipper.

do we have a counter on the download site or can they do a script to grep the logs and provide that number? - I'd be interested.

> Now the question is, aside from what's wrong with my files, is do we want/need a forum solely for public discussion of the book, or should folks just hit the appropriate forum?

I think it would be a good idea. If for no other reason, so people could offer suggestions and corrections.

-t
    Last edited by tangent; 05-31-05 at 18:37.

BTW, I've ordered 3 copies also, and recieved an email from another guy off Misc.Surv who also ordered 3 copies. I dare say before too long the publisher is going to be saying to themself "Wow! Goldmine!"

Hey, I know we do good work. Just have to convince the rest of the world of that little fact. :wink:

RR

Quote Originally Posted by tangent
    Now the question is, aside from what's wrong with my files, is do we want/need a forum solely for public discussion of the book, or should folks just hit the appropriate forum?

I think it would be a good idea. If for no other reason, so people could offer suggestions and corrections.

-t
    The forum is there, bottom of the top tier. Maybe ought to move this thread to start things off?

RR

> BTW, I've ordered 3 copies also, and recieved an email from another guy off Misc.Surv who also ordered 3 copies. I dare say before too long the publisher is going to be saying to themself "Wow! Goldmine!"

> Hey, I know we do good work. Just have to convince the rest of the world of that little fact.

You are making my fingers itch for a Google search on publishers...

-t

On ordering - been mulling that over. Trying to figure if it's more cost effective to print them out and get them bound (been looking into a binding machine - I do that enough to make it cost effective...) Is it wire bound or plastic? Plastic is cake, wire is nicer... but have not found a machine to do it (wire). Guessing they are on the expensive side...) I used to work in a print shop and did bindary work - but glue and tape stuff or plastic combs - never wire. Ink is also an issue and harder to calculate, but I think the cost should come down a few $$$ per copy w/ the home printer and postage. I want about a dozen to send to friends and family...

Been looking for a staple machine also - used to have one, kicking myself over that (and the light table, etc...)

How about a list of websites where we have posted about the FAQ? I have posted a link att:
    http://lightfighter.net/eve

in the TEMS forum.