Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Survival and Austere Medicine

Survival and Austere Medicine

Survival and Austere Medicine is finally finished.

I have e-mailed the pdf + word versions to RR.

We are not sure yet when it will be available on the board - its very big.

If you wish to purchase a copy pre-printed from Cafepress - it should be available in the next few days - Im having a few technical problems uploading the pdf - but should have it sorted soon. The price will be cost only.

http://www.cafepress.com/austeremed - but nothing is available yet

It will also be available as a pdf from www.aussurvivalist.com - but not for a few days until the webmaster can post it - the file size isnt a problem.

Craig

YES! YES! YES! Please let us know print price as soon as you have it. Thanks bunches for all your work on this.

YEAH! - thanks Craig!

we really appriciate all your work on this!

-t

Here is the Aus survivalist link for the *pdf

http://www.aussurvivalist.com/downlo...0Final%202.pdf

cheers

Craig

dammmmm good work, i have stop my Gastroenterology reading to read this one. ohh dont put somthing, like this on the web before i have a test

52B - are you a med student?

And how'd you get that handle?
    Emergency Medicine - saving the world from itself, one person at a time. Life guarding the shallow end of the gene pool. Your first stop on your last trip, and the backstop to all other medical specialites.

yes i am a medical studente.
    52bravo was my call signe in bosnier

OK

Up and running on the above link

$13.60 - cost price

The cover isnt overly exciting but I think its ok - Im worried about the resolution of the lettering - Ive ordered a copy to see - Im sure it will be fine.

Spread the word

Very satisfying to have it finished !!

Its quite a neat way to publish a book

Craig
    Last edited by Craig; 05-31-05 at 03:57.

A few notes:

Cafe Press says it's 191 pages, but the pdf has 213 pages.

Searches on the Cafe Press web site for the title, and all (any) keywords in the title don't find it.

The description is very "doomer" oriented, and probably going to scare off other potential readers (backcountry, remote medic, relief worker, etc.) that would be interested in the book.

Great to see that it's finally been released!

-t

ps: send 2 copies to the LOC (Library of Congress) so we can get an ISBN for it and tell Amazon.com about it.

ps: send 2 copies to the LOC (Library of Congress) so we can get an ISBN for it and tell Amazon.com about it.

tangent, there must be more to it than that. What is the exact procedure? I just ordered 6, but could swing 2 more probably.

thanks Tangent. Feel free to write a more upbeat synopsis - its easily changed - I just lifted the part of the introduction - I was in a hurry. I willl look into the search function

THe number of pages reflects the format - Cafepress = 8 x 11 in (US letter I think) while the pdf is in A4 - exactly the same content

Craig

ugh! - here's how to get an ISBN in NZ, it looks like the whole process is more complicated than I thought... there is apparently a LOC number and library info - like a library card catalog entry, a barcode for the back and getting it listed in Books in print.

Found one place that has a "how to" kit for about $80, can probably find someplace that has the info for free.

http://www.natlib.govt.nz/en/services/5isbnissn.html

There is supposed to be an online application for the US too for ISBN's.

(never done this before)

-t

ps: A4 paper is larger than 8 1/2 x 11, IIRC, also was printing it out from the PDF and was getting one page per sheet - 213 total... odd...

Maybe they aren't counting some pages, or...
    Last edited by tangent; 05-31-05 at 15:25.

Doubtless the low down no account varmints at the Press skimmed a few pages off the top for themselves.

How about margin differences being one factor. I'll let you know when my copies arrive what it was they did to account for the difference in page count.

RR
    Knowledge shared is learning gained by both teacher and student.

found it! - well, most of it...

http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/i...pplication.asp

This will let you register a US ISBN (block of 10 ISBN's is $25) and optionally get a barcode ($25 each). I THINK that also gets it listed in Books in Print.

umm, no. After you get a ISBN, go here to register to be listed in books in print: (Doing this means that places like Amazon and regular bookstores can easily find and buy the book)

http://www.bowkerlink.com/corrections/common/home.asp

Still need the Library of Congress part..., and I think that's it.

OK - here it is... looks like there are a few things here: copywrite (looks like it's $30 or more - the FEE table and instructions make the IRS look like a cake walk... :( Might want to skip it. What you don't want to skip is the LCCN (PCN) and CIP data (It's free). Don't worry about ISSN's - that's for magazines.

http://www.loc.gov/loc/infopub/

btw: you might want to yank it back from Cafe Press, temporairly. The impression I get is that a PCN being assigned prior to publication is a given, but if the book has allready been published, they only do that if the LOC decides to add it to their collection. It looks like you have to send one copy, not two to the LOC when it does get published. Maybe I'm missing something here - I was pretty sure it was 2 copies...

sooo... STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!

I'll pass this by a friend who's a lawyer and I believe familiar with the procedures to make sure this is everything and it's correct.

-t

PS: failure to have the PCN/LCCN/CIP is probably going to exclude it from being found via interlibrary loan, being added to library collections, etc.
    Last edited by tangent; 05-31-05 at 16:16.

I was surprised about the the page numbering as well - but US letter is obviously wider than A4 and I think the extra words per line accounts for it.

I have a pdf in 8x11 if you prefer it to A4

Craig